FEMUN 2021 Report
On May 14-17, MUNRFE has conducted the Far Eastern Model United Nations (FEMUN) 2021 in hybrid format on the premises of the Far Eastern Federal University (FEFU) in Vladivostok, Russia.
The conference gathered around 70 delegates from China, India, Indonesia, Iran, Nigeria, South Korea, Viet Nam, and such Russian cities as Vladivostok, Irkutsk, Moscow, Komsomolsk-on-Amur, Kursk, Nalchik, Ufa, and Sevastopol. In frames of the event, they attended lectures by invited experts, training on UN4MUN procedure, workshops, and debates in three committees.
The committees and agendas at the FEMUN 2021 were:
- General Assembly Second Committee (offline) – International Migration and Development;
- General Assembly Third Committee (online) – The Right to Privacy in the Digital Age;
- Security Council (offline) – Threats to International Peace and Security Caused by Terrorist Acts.
The main topic of the Conference “Transformative Impact of Digital Technologies” was discussed at the Plenary Meeting.
On the first day of the Conference, all participants and guests of the Conference had a chance to receive welcome addresses from the representatives of MUNRFE partner organizations, namely Dr. Nikita Yu. Anisimov, FEFU President, Mr. Andrey P. Brovarets, Head of Russian Foreign Ministry Office in Vladivostok, and Mr. Konstantin Shestakov, Vice-governor of the Primorsky Region. Moreover, the FEMUN 2021 participants were privileged to receive the official address of the UN Secretary-General H.E. Mr. António Guterres for the third year in a row.
Besides, Forum “Russia on the Way to Sustainable Development: Inclusive and Equitable Quality Education” was organized with its key topics covering the impact of the COVID-19 on education in Russia, elimination of illiteracy in Russia, Russia's contribution to the development of science and culture abroad.
The second day of the Conference was marked by Informal Interactive Dialogues conducted by Dr. Magdalena Aguilar Pulido, UNHCR Russia External Relations Officer, and Ms. Nailia D. Mirsaitova, legal adviser at the International Committee of the Red Cross Regional Delegation for the Russian Federation, Belarus, and Moldova.
In frames of the Conference participants also had an opportunity to enjoy the Cultural Program organized by the partner of the Conference - Far Eastern Branch of "Russkiy Mir" Foundation. The Cultural Program included visits to Historical Park “Russia is My History” and Gallery “Artetage”.
According to the UN4MUN approach, delegates can play a more substantive role performing as the General Assembly Officials (GAO) and moderating the work of the committees. As the result of elections, the following representatives successfully performed GAOs’ duties:
Chairperson of the General Assembly Second Committee - Ms. Anna Barysheva (Viet Nam).
Chairperson of the General Assembly Third Committee - Mr. Danieal Ranjbar (Iran).
The duties of the Security Council President were performed by Ms. Dina Gongorova (China) in accordance with the rotation order of the UN Security Council members.
MUNRFE is honored to recognize the winners in various nominations.
- Baikal State University (Irkutsk, Russia);
- Bashkir State University (Ufa, Russia);
- International Linguistic School (Vladivostok, Russia);
- Komsomolsk-on-Amur State University (Komsomolsk-on-Amur, Russia);
- Moscow State University (Moscow, Russia);
- National University South Jakarta (Jakarta, Indonesia);
- Sevastopol State University (Sevastopol, Russia);
- Vladivostok State University of Economics and Service (Vladivostok, Russia);
- Far Eastern Federal University (Vladivostok, Russia).
- France - Ms. Ekaterina Eremina, Ms. Anastasia Bezotosova, and Ms. Maria Pankova. Adviser - Ms. Christina Tolmacheva (Vladivostok, Russia)
- China - Ms. Dina Gongorova, Ms. Mariia Chizhova, Mr. Georgii Rzaev. Adviser - Ms. Tatiana Akuneeva (Vladivostok, Russia)
Outstanding Position Paper Award:
- Ms. Ekaterina Eremina - France, GA2 (Vladivostok, Russia)
Online Diplomacy Award:
- Mr. Danieal Ranjbar - Chairperson, GA3 (Moscow, Russia)
- Mr. Tobias Binsar - USA, GA3 (Bandung, Indonesia)
- Mr. Georgii Rzaev - China, GA3 (Vladivostok, Russia)
- Ms. Ekaterina Eremina - France, GA2 (Vladivostok, Russia)
- Ms. Maria Pankova - Norway, GA2 (Vladivostok, Russia)
- Ms. Dina Gongorova - China, SC President (Vladivostok, Russia)
The recipients of the Diplomacy Awards are credentialed for the MUNRFE Leadership Program 2021 that includes participation in a Model UN conference in Asia-Pacific Region.
The event was organized with the efforts of the Senior Secretariat: Secretary-General Ms. Daria Zlydar, Under-Secretary-General for Conference Management Ms. Christina Tolmacheva, and Under-Secretary-General for Political, Economic, and Social Affairs Ms. Galina Salnikova.
The work of the Committees was supervised by the Secretariat team comprised of President of General Assembly Ms. Tatiana Akuneeva, GA2 Secretary Ms. Polina Babenko, GA3 Secretary Mr. Danil Vinokurov, and SC Director Mr. Ilya Moroz.
The implementation of FEMUN 2021 was supported by the Department of Global Communications, in particular, Ms. Kamila Kukushkina, Ms. Anna Nikolaeva, Ms. Elizaveta Saltanova, and Ms. Polina Dolgopolova, as well as the Department of Conference Management comprised of the PR-Working Group Manager Ms. Eugenia Sochneva, and PR-Working Group members Ms. Tatiana Tselischeva, Ms. Anastasia Tselischeva, Ms. Sofia Shuklina, and Designer Ms. Ekaterina Soloveva.
The Conference was organized with the support of the Far Eastern Federal University, Far Eastern Branch of “Russkiy Mir” Foundation, International Committee of the Red Cross Regional Delegation for the Russian Federation, Belarus, and Moldova, and the UN Refugee Agency Representation in Russia.
MUNRFE sincerely congratulates the winners of the conference and expresses its deepest gratitude to the partners of the event with the best hopes for productive cooperation in the future.